What to do After You’re Injured at Work

Photo Credit: Adobe Stock

It’s an unfortunate fact that people are injured on the job every day across America. You may not like to think about this, but it is important that you know what steps to take if you are injured at work to ensure that your rights are protected when it comes to receiving workers’ compensation or an injury settlement. If you are hurt on the job, it’s a good idea to take the following steps.

1)  Inform Your Supervisor – You should report any injury you suffer at work to your supervisor immediately (and do it in writing if possible). Even if your injury seems minor, you should report it because the injury could worsen over time.

2)  Get Medical Treatment – You should get medical treatment as soon as possible after your injury. Depending upon the company you work for, you may have to use a company mandated physician rather than your own doctor. Keep in mind that if the doctor is paid for by your employer’s insurance company, you may want to get a second opinion from your own physician.

3)  File a Claim – You will need to file a workers’ compensation claim. Your employer is required to provide you with a claim form. Keep in mind that this is not a lawsuit against your employer, but simply a request to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

4) Do You Need an Attorney? – While some workers’ compensation claims are simple, if you experience any problems you should contact an attorney. For example, if your case is very complex or if you don’t understand what’s happening with your case and why, or if you have a disagreement with your employer over the claim, it’s best for you to get legal representation.

Our attorneys are experienced in Jones Act and Workers’ Comp cases.

If you have been injured and believe that the Jones Act or Workers’ Compensation may affect your case, it’s vital that you hire an experienced attorney. At Morrow, Gates and Morrow, we offer attorneys who have a great deal of experience in handling cases involving both the Jones Act and Workers’ Comp. We’ll help to ensure that you get all of the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

Our Worker's Compensation Attorney

Stephen M Morrow, Sr
Worker's Compensation Attorney

Contact us right away by phone (337) 942-6529 after any work related accident or injury. Morrow, Gates & Morrow, LLC., located in Opelousas, Louisiana can review your case and help you get compensated and hold the other party responsible.

If you have been in an work related accident, do not hesitate to get help.

Contact Us

  • By submitting this form, you are agreeing to our privacy policy. Please do not submit confidential information.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Automobile, Trucking, Motorcyle Accident Guide

Guidelines to follow if you are involved in an accident.


(337) 942-6529 - telephone
(866) 942-6529 - toll free
(337) 948-4364 - fax

Business Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: closed

Service Areas

We represent clients in all of Louisiana as well as other states including, but not limited to Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Legal Disclaimer: The content of Morrow, Gates and Morrow LLC’s website is for informational purposes only. Do not construe the content and information of this website to be legal advice. Morrow, Gates & Morrow does not promise or guarantee any result for services rendered.

The blog posts from Morrow, Gates & Morrow consist of hypothetical scenarios, opinions and generic information. These scenarios are in no way meant to assess blame on any party in real-life situations and are presented for informational purposes only.