Know the Signs of Drug or Alcohol Abuse

Know the Signs of Drug or Alcohol Abuse

Photo Credit: Adobe Stock

Substance abuse – whether it’s drugs or alcohol – can be devastating to a person’s life, as well as their loved ones. If you suspect someone you love may be addicted to drugs or alcohol, there are some common signs to look for – including both physical and behavioral symptoms.

  • Bloodshot or glazed eyes – as well as constricted or dilated pupils.
  • Abrupt change in weight (either losing or gaining substantial weight).
  • Sleep problems – either sleeping too much or too little.
  • Increased aggression, bad moods and/or irritability.
  • Persistently seeming depressed, lethargic or unhappy.
  • Abrupt social changes – avoiding old friends and hanging out with new people.
  • Neglecting personal and/or family obligations and responsibilities.
  • Being fired from work or dropping out of school.
  • Abrupt and significant financial problems.
  • Engaging in criminal activities and/or risky behavior.

Knowing the signs and symptoms of substance abuse is the first step in helping your loved one to get the help they need to overcome addiction – and it could even save their life. Unfortunately, many people who suffer from substance abuse are unwilling to admit they have a problem or seek treatment. If this is the case, it’s important for you to step in and address the problem before it gets out of control and causes serious consequences. While it’s very difficult to legally force an adult to undergo drug or alcohol rehab, there are a few things you can do. Seek out educational resources or support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous for guidance. It’s also a good idea to talk to an addiction professional such as a counselor or doctor to find out how and when you should try to intervene and get help for your loved one.

Need a personal injury attorney due to an accident?

Put your trust in Morrow, Gates and Morrow.

If you or a loved one are injured in an accident through no fault of your own, you should seek legal assistance immediately. At Morrow, Gates & Morrow our attorneys are highly experienced in handling personal injury cases of all types and will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.

Our Personal Injury Attorneys

James "Jim" S Gates, Personal Injury Attorney
John Michael Morrow,Jr, Personal Injury Attorney
William "Will" P Morrow, Personal Injury Attorney

Contact us right away by phone (337) 942-6529 after any personal injury. Morrow, Gates & Morrow, LLC. can review your case and help you get compensated and hold the other party responsible.

If you have been in an accident, do not hesitate to get help.

Contact Us

  • By submitting this form, you are agreeing to our privacy policy. Please do not submit confidential information.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Automobile, Trucking, Motorcyle Accident Guide

Guidelines to follow if you are involved in an accident.


(337) 942-6529 - telephone
(866) 942-6529 - toll free
(337) 948-4364 - fax

Business Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: closed

Service Areas

We represent clients in all of Louisiana as well as other states including, but not limited to Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida

Legal Disclaimer: The content of Morrow, Gates and Morrow LLC’s website is for informational purposes only. Do not construe the content and information of this website to be legal advice. Morrow, Gates & Morrow does not promise or guarantee any result for services rendered.

The blog posts from Morrow, Gates & Morrow consist of hypothetical scenarios, opinions and generic information. These scenarios are in no way meant to assess blame on any party in real-life situations and are presented for informational purposes only.